Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
- Ph.D. in Computer Science
- May. 2018 -
POSTECH, Pohang, Republic of Korea
- M.S. in Computer Science and Engineering
- Mar. 2013 - Feb. 2015
University of Seoul, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- B.S. in School of Computer Science
- Mar. 2011 - Feb. 2013
Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Republic of Korea
- Department of Mathematics
- Mar. 2005 - Feb. 2011
Pyeongchon Information Industry High School, Anyang, Republic of Korea
- Department of Information Processing
- Mar. 2002 - Feb. 2005
- Researcher, 3rd R&D Institute (Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance), Agency for Defense Development (2015.3 - 2018.3).
- Auxiliary Policeman (as mandatory military service), Gwangju Metropolitan Police Agency (2007.7 - 2009.5).
- M2MON: Building an MMIO-based Security Reference Monitor for Unmanned Vehicles [pdf] [github]
Arslan Khan, Hyungsub Kim, Byoungyoung Lee, Dongyan Xu, Antonio Bianchi, Dave (Jing) Tian
30th USENIX Security Symposium (Security'21) (USENIX 2021), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, August 11-13, 2021.
(acceptance rate: TBA)
- PGFUZZ: Policy-Guided Fuzzing for Robotic Vehicles [pdf] [slide] [video] [github]
Hyungsub Kim, Muslum Ozgur Ozmen, Antonio Bianchi, Z. Berkay Celik, Dongyan Xu
28th Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS 2021), San Diego, California, USA, February 21-24, 2021.
(acceptance rate: 87/573=15.2%)
- Inferring Browser Activity and Status Through Remote Monitoring of Storage Usage [pdf] [slide] [web page] [passive attack video] [active attack video]
Hyungsub Kim, Sangho Lee, and Jong Kim
32nd Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC 2016), Los Angeles, California, USA, December 5-9, 2016.
(acceptance rate: 48/210=22.8%)
Identifying Cross-origin Resource Status Using Application Cache [pdf] [demo video]
Sangho Lee, Hyungsub Kim, and Jong Kim
22nd Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS 2015), San Diego, California, USA, February 8-11, 2015.
(acceptance rate: 50/302=16.6%)
Exploring and Mitigating Privacy Threats of HTML5 Geolocation API [pdf] [slide] [demo video]
Hyungsub Kim, Sangho Lee, and Jong Kim
30th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC 2014), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, December 8-12, 2014.
(acceptance rate: 47/236=19.9%)
Privacy Threats in HTML5 Geolocation API: Case Studies and Countermeasures [pdf]
Master's Thesis, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, POSTECH, 2015.
2017.7 - 2018.3: Automatic Video-based Target Detection and Classification, Agency for Defense Development (ADD).
2015.11 - 2017.10: Real-time Target Geo-positioning on multiple Videos, Agency for Defense Development (ADD).
2014.10 - 2014.12: Context-aware Unified IoT Platform for Security and Privacy, Samsung.
2014.4 - 2014.12: Resilient Cyber-Physical Systems Research, Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (MSIP).
2013.9 - 2013.12: Next Generation Web Browser, Samsung.
ACSAC paper (2014). developed fine-grained permission and location models, and by inspecting the location sensitivity of each web page. JAVA, Android
Advanced Operating System (2013). modified Linux kernel to support I/O alignment for solid-state drives (SSD). C
- Programming Languages
- Shell scripts (Bash and PowerShell), SQL, Maple, LaTeX (intermediate)
- Miscellaneous Availabilities
Honors and Awards
Ross Fellowship, Purdue University Graduate School, 2018.
ACSAC Student Conferenceship Award (US$1,200), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, December, 2014.
Best Student Presentation Award, POSTECH CSE Student Workshop, 2014.
Semester High Honors, 2011 and 2012 2nd semester, University of Seoul.
Semester High Honors, 2007 2nd semester, Chonnam National University.
Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy grand prize (US$2,600), high school competitions in the field of computer science, 2004.
- IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland) 2021, 2022
- Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS) 2021, 2022
- Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC) 2021
- European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS) 2021
- ACM ASIA Conference on Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS) 2021, 2022
- Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN) 2020
- Security and Privacy in Communication Networks (SecureComm) 2020
- World Conference on Information Security Applications (WISA) 2014
Volunteering participating in the international World Wide Web Conference 2014, April, 7-11, Seoul, Korea.
Teaching Assistant, Project Development (CS180 and CS251), Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA, Fall 2019.
Teaching Assistant, Software Design Methods (CSED332), POSTECH, Pohang, Republic of Korea, Fall 2014.
Instructor, Computer Science Curriculum for Elementary School, Wolpyeong Elementary School, Jangseong County, Republic of Korea, Fall 2009.
207 bugs in ArduPilot, PX4, and Paparazzi, 2020. (link)
ArduPilot Bug #8783: NULL pointer dereference in libraries/AP_RangeFinder/AP_RangeFinder_BBB_PRU.cpp, July, 2018. (link)
ArduPilot Bug #8644: Memory leak in libraries/AP_HAL_ChibiOS/hwdef/common/posix.c, June, 2018. (link)
ArduPilot Bug #8642: Memory leak in libraries/AP_HAL_Linux/benchmarks/benchmark_videoin.cpp, June, 2018. (link)
ArduPilot Bug #8641: NULL pointer dereference in libraries/AP_HAL_F4Light/hardware/hal/timer.c, June, 2018. (link)
ArduPilot Bug #8640: Resource leak in libraries/AP_HAL/utility/srxl.cpp, June, 2018. (link)
Last updated: September 28, 2021